Monday, May 4, 2020

Poor Baby Bird

Just a short image.

Yesterday my mother called to me, "look, there is a baby bird outside." I looked out back and a baby bird, a rather large one, but obviously a baby, was walking around in our backyard. There were no parents. It was squawking. when I saw it I thought to myself, "poor bird, she is dead." And I told my mother that I thought the bird would be eaten by a stray cat. I do not know how to keep a baby bird alive who has no mother to feed her. I can not eat worms and digest them, then vomit them up into the baby birds mouth. That is a game one can play, baby bird. So I let her walk around and live for a while.

Today my brother was gardening and he told us "the baby bird did not make it." There was part of her carcass in the back yard. I guess it was a cat. I do not know if the bird fell or was thrown out of her nest by the mother. I think I remember learning that often when birds have more than one chicks in the nest and they are not able to feed them all, they abandon the ones who are weaker and less likely to live. I thought that is what happened to this bird. I do not know what kind of bird this was, but she was large for a baby bird.

My brother told me that his friend Igor got his pet blue jay when he found her as a baby. She is dead. Perhaps I should have saved her. But then the cat would have gone hungry. Over a decade ago I found a couple of abandoned kittens with no parents and I tried to save them. I fed them milk. That was what the man who owned the pet store told me to do. Then I gave the two cute kittens away and they both died.

No comments:

Post a Comment