Sunday, February 23, 2020

Going To Church


Sunday is the best day of the week. I have a routine that I have been following. In the morning I wake up and I drink coffee. I have a few cups. Then I go to the subway. My Father drives me most of the time. I get on the train and go and go and go. I am never sure which train I will take and which line it will run on and if it will be going local or express but I can get there either way so I take whichever train comes first. When I get to the city sometimes I have to go to the bathroom because of the coffee and if I do I can go to the public restrooms at Bryant Park or at the Port Authority. When I get into the city I like to go to Holy Innocents for Vespers and Benediction. Vespers is in Latin and I do not read along in the little booklets that have the prayers in English. I just listen and I watch. And after Vespers they have a short little Benediction. I wish they would have Jesus Exposed all throughout Vespers but they do not. They just take Him out, say a few prayers and sing a little, do the blessing, and put Him back again right away. He is only exposed for a minute or two with no silence. But it is a blessing from Jesus. After that is over the people clear out and go home. I watch the servers come out from the sacristy in their street clothes and the priest in his cassock. Then I walk East a few blocks and go to the Church of Our Savior. I sit in the back or kneel and either read or say prayers in silence, depending on how my day is. When it is time I go to our little upper room for Mass. I get there on time for the rosary before Mass. Tom leads for fifteen decades and on Sundays that is my daily rosary and some times I go to confession. Then Church starts and it is so very beautiful. I try to go to Communion. When Mass is over I usually hang out and often talk to people. Most days we go get coffee and food afterwards and talk. And then I take the subway home. That is my day, the best day of the week.

The picture is the Church of Our Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment