Monday, January 6, 2020

A House Mouse


As I sit in the living room there is a mouse in our house. He scurries back and forth in the dining room and when I move, he runs away quick as a flash of lightning. When I am not moving he goes right and left under the table, toward the book case, and then flees under the record player.

Once he came into the living room where I was, went under the couch and then under the very chair where I was sitting, drinking coffee. Then when he was right under me I moved and he ran away. The mouse is my friend. I do not want him to eat the cheese in the traps my father sets for him and be killed by the trap. I wonder what vegans do about mice? Do they have little boxes that trap them unharmed and then bring them out of the house and release them outside?

I read an image that struck me. The image was of little flies. We people are like little flies hovering here and there and trying to reach the sun, which is Jesus, Our God. In our vain little attempts to fly we are like little house flies who are trying to fly towards the sun. Without assistance it would be impossible. But if the sun were to come down to earth and pick us up, then we could be saved. One brother noticed how sometimes when flies are trapped inside a house they spend all of their effort in trying to fly through the window when there is no escape until in the end they are exhausted and fall dead on the windowsill. And then the brother sweeps up the flies and puts their dead bodies in the garbage and throws them away.

Sometimes in my paranoia I am afraid of flies. I see them as images of the devil. If he is the "Lord of Flies" the houseflies must be his servants. And when there is a fly buzzing around one's house it is a sign that the devil is near, and that perhaps he is my master. But not so with the mouse. Mice are our friends. They have warm blood and they are beautiful, more than I can say of the little houseflies.

So I just wanted to record the house mouse and the thought about the houseflies. Something that interested me that I would surely forget if I did not record it here. My day is going well as all days have been going lately. I learned recently that my therapy will resume a week from today, Monday. I am happy. We can talk about my life. It is happy now. With my house mouse.

I don't know why. Maybe because I am thinking quietly and praying more. But every time I leave the house and go out into the world I am very happy. I look at the sky and it is so very beautiful. The clouds. And the birds as has been the case for a while. But the beauty of the world overwhelms me and I am happy. I don't know why but it is good.

1 comment:

  1. There are indeed humane mousetraps available. It would probably be a death sentence, however, to trap and release a mouse outdoors in a city neighborhood in the middle of winter. If the mouse is your friend, you might want to purchase not only a safe trap, but also a good-sized aquarium, cedar shavings, a water dispenser, a food bowl, and an exercise wheel. That way you could keep it as a pet and the mouse would live a comfortable life.

    ReplyDelete