Monday, August 26, 2019

Fire Island



My family and I visited my uncle Harry's beach house at Fire Island. It is in the village of Saltaire. It was a great trip. We went on a ferry ride had a steak dinner and had friends over and we went to the yacht club where a girl was singing pop songs. I was not a fan of the music but the singer was very talented. I thought she was a seductress. Dinner was great. I prepared corn and together with my mom we made a salad. And Harry grilled the steaks. When dinner came around there was an extra piece of corn. We thought there were four whole pieces of corn and two half-pieces, but it turned out there were five whole pieces of corn and two half-pieces. And my cousin Sarah said it was like the multiplication of fishes after the Sermon on the Mount. I clearly remember there being five corns because we threw the sixth one away because it was rotten. But when it came time to eat there were six. Bless the Lord for providing for his children.

Before dinner came I walked to Fair Harbor. Walking to Fair Harbor is a ritual of mine when I visit Saltaire. It beings back childhood memories. My favorite part of Fire Island is walking from Saltaire to Fair Harbor and back. I brought my dad's camera and took pictures. I took pictures of butterflies, a dragonfly, and deer, and other pictures. I will post them on my instagram by tomorrow. I got some beautiful pictures of two Monarch Butterflies holding on to each other. I thought they were mating! What a treat!

At Fair Harbor I got ice cream from "ufriendly's". I got a cone with sprinkles. The flavor was "Pirate's Treasure" and I ate it. One of the little kids winked her eye at me. I smelled smoke coming from the restaurant. Then I checked out "Corliss' By The Bay" but did not buy anything. Then I walked home.

On the way there I passed the Church where I was Baptized and took two pictures. I prayed in the garden before the broken crucifix. There were stones at the foot of the Cross. One encouraged me to trust in Jesus and one said "She Loves You With All Her Heart". I wonder who put them there. A message from Jesus and the Blessed Mother. I took a picture of the stones and will put it up with the other pictures. On the way back I passed the Church and looked inside at the exact moment of the elevation of the Victim after the consecration, so I genuflected and then walked home. Perfect timing.

In the morning I looked at birds and we made breakfast. My mother and I. Egg sandwiches. Then I got on the ferry and took the LIRR to go to Penn Station for Mass at St. Christopher's On the way there I prayed at Holy Innocents and Our Savior. It was a good trip to  Fire Island and pictures are coming! Thanks, Harry (and Mary). His father was a daily communicant and for a short while during World War II he was Padre Pio's driver. May God Bless him and let us hope he is in heaven and pray for him in case he is in purgatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment